The Castèl lemon house
Winter time


The Castèl lemon house, which is northwest of the old town center and stands against the rocky wall of the Mughéra mountain, is just a portion of the large lemon grove that once stretched from the Mura valleys, Via Pozze and Via Castello to the Màndola valley. The garden, which covers an area of 1,633 square meters, is divided perpendicularly into two parts by the cùen dela Marches'àna, on which the main cas'èl is built on several levels. It extends to the south, in part, on a single terrace and on three in another section. To the north it is divided on four còle terraces that border to the north with the valèt del Castèl, on which another small casèl is built.
It was built in the early 18th century, but has clearly undergone remodeling over the years. The date "April 15, 1786" can still be seen on a water trough, which might refer to the construction of the structure itself or of the irrigation channels on the terraces. Other projects raised or moved the pillars and increased the surface area and the number of levels of the cas'èl.
Over the years, the lemon house was owned in turn by the Amadei, Bertoni, Patuzzi, and, in the 19th century, the Girardi and Polidoro families. On June 19, 1926, Giuseppe Segala (1889 - 1975) bought it after returning from the United States, where he worked as a miner. In January 1995, the city of Limone bought the lemon house.
It has undergone renovation four times: during the first project, completed in 1997, a wall was built, a sparadòs and cantér were replaced, and the còle terraces were cleaned. During the second project in 1999, the roof of a casèl was repaired. During the third, in 2002-2003, two casèi and two còle were restored thanks to contributions from the Lombardy Region through the Plan of Rural Development 2000 - 2006. The renovation of the entrance storage and the lowest lemon terrace continued in winter 2006-2007, using council funds.
The main casèl connects the terraces and serves as a museum and educational center. All the còle terraces have irrigation channels for the trees. The water came from the San Giovanni Torrent through the Calmèta duct built in the early 18th century. The lemon house, which was inaugurated on July 22, 2004, has more than one hundred citrus trees (citrons, lemons, sweet and bitter oranges, chinotto oranges, grapefruits, tangerines and kumquats).

The Castèl lemon house is open to the public in the following time in the winter period:
- from 10.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m., Friday Saturday and Sunday excluding Christmas;
- Christmas opening hours: from 20.12.2019 to 06.01.2020, 10.00 a.m./05.00 p.m.; - Entrance free.

GUIDED VISITS ARE POSSIBLE
For any further information and reservations, please call +39 0365 954008 during office hours.

Powered by AgileSoft